Sustainability at the BERA Conference 2023
BERA has already been considering its environmental impact running the conference each year. From 2016 we have been making a conscious effort to reduce our environmental impact. We have introduced the conference app for delegates on the day reducing the need for a printed programme. We have been reducing our catering numbers, looking at trends of attendance to reduce food wastage. We have been sourcing venues and social venues closer to transport links to reduce the need for driving and taxis to the conference.
For 2023 we will continue to go further. Below are a few of
- Printing – We will not have any printed programmes available at the conference. The mobile app will be available. The schedules are printed on the back of the badges. There will be giant screens available for viewing the app.
- Delegate packs – We have surplus merchandise that we will be using at the conference. This is all stock from 2019 and previous years. This will be the last year that we have this merchandise for delegates.
- Catering – to be confirmed closer to the date.
- Waste – The venue will have multiple points around the building for recycling waste. These will include cans, coffee cups, paper and plastics.
- Donations – For exhibitors with books, the University has a dedicated charity donation point and also partner with Better World Books for donations.
- Water – There will be water dispensers around the conference venue. Please note you will need your own water bottles/cups/flasks to use these. You can buy a water bottle from the BERA Membership stand.
- Emissions and Transport
- Train – Birmingham New Street, Snow Hill and Moor Street are within a 15 minute walk from the venue
- Bus – Numerous buses stop outside the University
- Car – Consider car sharing where possible. No car parking spaces are reserved at the venue. Birmingham Clean Air Zone is in operation 24 hours a day.
- We will be planting one tree for every two delegates that attend the conference to offset our carbon footprint through Ecologi. 🌍
Eliminate, Reduce, Re-Use, Recycle, Disposal
Read more about Aston Universities impact and research: https://www.aston.ac.uk/sites/default/files/Sustainability%20Brochure%20-%20Final.pdf