2023 BERA School Research Award
BERA is pleased to announce our new award aimed at encouraging the development of research skills in the curriculum of secondary schools. The BERA School Research Award aims to promote the value of research as one of several tools associated with creativity, enterprise and critical thinking and embeds the idea of ‘research’ as a lifelong learning activity.
For 2023 BERA invites submissions under the theme of “Education and Democracy”
To submit an entry, we invite submissions of upto 3000 words equivalent which can include a range of media submissions, from traditional project format to video essay. All submissions must include a rationale for the research, research question/s. short literature review, research methodology, findings, analysis and references (to develop best practice in research from the earliest engagement with it in schools).
It is proposed that project preparation would begin in April year 12 with submission in October of Year 13.
The award is for students undertaking A level, A/S level, Scottish Higher Level or equivalent post-16.
The winner and runner up will recieve an ipad and £250
The deadline to submit your research is 18th October, 2023.
Criteria for Judging
- The Rationale/introduction provides a clear justification for the study
- Clear and appropriate research questions that align with the study’s findings, conclusions and recommendations.
- The Literature review draws on a range of appropriate and, where possible, recent scholarly (academic research) sources
- The chosen methodology (research design that includes aims, data collection methods, ethical considerations theoretical lens) is appropriate for the study, clearly described, and deploys correct methodological terminology and references.
- The analysis and discussion of the findings offer clear evidence of critical evaluative skills drawing on, where appropriate, concepts introduced within the literature review.
- The conclusion summarises the study’s findings and its limitations, addresses the research questions and offers recommendations for future research on the topic