Physical Education and Sports Pedagogy SIG Convenor Vacancy
Call for SIG Convenor
This SIG embraces educational research in the areas of physical education and sport in schools; physical education initial teacher training; and continuing professional development for teachers and other professionals working in physical education and school sport settings. The aims of the SIG are:
- to provide a national forum for educational research in physical education and sport pedagogy
- to stimulate collaborative, high quality research amongst SIG members
- to prompt and co-ordinate communication between SIG members and key stakeholders and funding agencies in the areas of physical education and sport in schools, physical education initial teacher training, and continuing professional development for teachers and other professionals working in physical education and school sport settings
- to raise awareness of research in physical education and sport pedagogy amongst wider educational communities
- to prompt collaboration between SIG members and educational researchers working in other subject areas on issues of common interest/concern
- to create a point of contact for comparable groups within educational research associations internationally (such as AARE and AERA)
As a SIG convenor you receive a number of benefits, support from the BERA office and are invited to attend convenor meetings in London, with all other SIG convenors.
SIG Convenors are volunteers whose main role is to co-ordinate, oversee and develop the mission and activities of each particular SIG. The SIG is there to represent the views of their members, not of individual convenors.
SIG Convenors should expect to work within all the guidelines and advice provided by the BERA Office. These are in place to ensure good practice and that all legal, financial and insurance matters are taken care of and that any risks to individuals or organisations are minimised. In particular with regard to planning events, activities or any expenditure, SIGs should all follow BERA’s appropriate guidelines and procedures.
By agreeing to assume a position of SIG convenor, individuals are committing to fulfilling the responsibilities and obligations that go with that role. SIG Convenors are expected to exercise their own judgment to meet the requirements listed in BERA guidance and to seek further advice from the BERA Office if in any doubt on any of these matters. If any procedures are not followed then BERA reserves the right to take whatever action may be necessary to protect BERA’s legal, financial and reputational position.
The annual responsibilities for SIG Convenors can be found in this document.
If you would like to be considered (below are the details of the role, remits and appointment of a convenor):
Key aspects of the Convenors’ role include:
- Preparing text for a regular (ideally once per term) newsletter to SIG members.
- Hosting at least one annual SIG forum meeting for all members (organised via the BERA office)
- Encouraging submissions of individual papers and symposia for BERA conference.
- Reviewing abstracts or acting as a third reviewer.
- Grouping together abstracts for the conference.
- Succession planning.
Other responsibilities detailed in the handbook are:
- SIG events
- SIG Forum Meetings
- BERA Conference
- Social media
- Financial and administrative support
- Annual Review and oversight
- Networking and opportunities
If multiple expressions of interest are received an election may be run.
The deadline to apply is the 13th June 2022
Please click above to apply.