Educational Research and Educational Policy Making SIG Convenor Vacancy 2023-2026
SIG Convenor Vacancy
The Educational Research and Educational Policy-Making SIG aims:
To identify and enhance the various ways in which, and the supporting conditions under which, scholarly research efforts in education can have a stronger influence on policy-making processes by, for example:
- identifying key areas of policy which may be particularly supported – or contradicted – by current research evidence;
- identifying processes, environments and institutional arrangements for the mediation and ‘translation’ of research knowledge for decision-making;
- de-constructing barriers to the use of scholarly research in decision-making;
- exploring a range of methodologies for synthesising research knowledge;
- identifying new substantive areas, new research models and modes, and/or insufficiently understood issues for policy-relevant research.
As one of the existing convenors term has come to an end, there is an opportunity for a new SIG Convenor to help lead the SIG over the next 3 years.
As a SIG convenor you receive a number of benefits, support from the BERA office and are invited to attend convenor meetings in London, with all other SIG convenors.
SIG Convenors are volunteers whose main role is to co-ordinate, oversee and develop the mission and activities of each particular SIG. The SIG is there to represent the views of their members, not of individual convenors.
SIG Convenors should expect to work within all the guidelines and advice provided by the BERA Office. These are in place to ensure good practice and that all legal, financial and insurance matters are taken care of and that any risks to individuals or organisations are minimised. In particular with regard to planning events, activities or any expenditure, SIGs should all follow BERA’s appropriate guidelines and procedures.
By agreeing to assume a position of SIG convenor, individuals are committing to fulfilling the responsibilities and obligations that go with that role. SIG Convenors are expected to exercise their own judgment to meet the requirements listed in BERA guidance and to seek further advice from the BERA Office if in any doubt on any of these matters. If any procedures are not followed then BERA reserves the right to take whatever action may be necessary to protect BERA’s legal, financial and reputational position.
The annual responsibilities for SIG Convenors can be found in this document.
If you would like to be considered (below are the details of the role, remits and appointment of a convenor):
Key aspects of the Convenors’ role include:
- Preparing text for a regular (ideally once per term) newsletter to SIG members.
- Hosting at least one annual SIG forum meeting for all members (organised via the BERA office)
- Encouraging submissions of individual papers and symposia for BERA conference.
- Reviewing abstracts or acting as a third reviewer.
- Grouping together abstracts for the conference.
- Succession planning.
Other responsibilities detailed in the handbook are:
- SIG events
- SIG Forum Meetings
- BERA Conference
- Social media
- Financial and administrative support
- Annual Review and oversight
- Networking and opportunities
If multiple expressions of interest are received an election may be run.
This role is intended to serve a 3 year term, finishing 30 September 2026.
The deadline to apply is the 31 December 2022.
Please click above to apply.
As part of our wider commitment to greater equality and diversity at all levels of the organisation, we continue to seek increased representation from members with a Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) background. In acknowledging the structural inequalities and unjust power imbalances that affect our members, we wish to be proactive in addressing this within our own structures.